Relationships Don’t Just Happen!
Several years ago, close friend, trusted franchising peer, and well respected member of the franchising community, Lynette McKee, introduced me to Shakon Turner. At the time, Lynette had recently hired Shak at Checkers and told me that Shak was special – a bright, lively, and driven “newbie” to franchising, who possessed the highest level of character and a specific type of empathy and loyalty that cannot be taught… qualities one must bring to a job in franchising, in order to succeed at doing it.
I spent some time getting to know Shak, at industry events over the years and stayed in contact with her, sharing nuggets that I thought might be helpful to her at those moment in time. It always felt good to track her career progress and see how well she’d blossomed – evolving from Lynette’s protégé through rising star status and ultimately on to becoming a full-fledged franchising professional in her own right.
So – why am I sharing all this with you? Because today, I’m proud to tell you that effective August 10th, Shak Turner becomes the newest member of the FRM Solutions team and takes over as Business Development Director. Shak is a PERFECT fit for the FRM team. Not only does she fulfill a pressing need with her unique blend of administrative, marketing and franchise sales skills, but her personality, attitude, approach and prior experience are all perfect fits for our culture.
So, back to the title of this post – Relationships Don’t Just Happen!
As I kick off a busy late summer and fall event schedule, with next week’s Faegre Baker Daniels Franchise Summit, I want founders and CEOs of all franchise brands to know it IS possible to find great employees, franchisees, and suppliers and forge long-term, sustainable relationships with them all. Here are five tips to help any franchisor build and sustain powerful relationships:
- Commit to Sustainable Growth – Too many franchise brands actively pursue growth for growth’s sake. Your brand will only attract and retain great people if it’s clear that your concept is poised for long-term, sustainable growth.
- Invest in Customizable Technological Solutions – You must have viable, professional systems in place, like those offered by FRM Solutions, to track, measure and scale the relationships you build with your candidates and franchisees.
- Evolve and Become Systems Reliant – Speaking of systems, you must be willing to evolve and revamp your own internal processes, to foster a culture of systems reliance, as opposed to people dependence. When your company functions/thrives on systems, it gives you the freedom to find and develop the right people and get them into the right seats.
- Hire the Attitude, then Train the Skill – We love this old Walt Disney adage at FRM… because it WORKS! Don’t get fixated on finding someone who just possesses the skills and experience. Instead, find people who also mirror your core values and culture and who are eager to work for your company.
- Trust Your Inner Circle – Do as I did. Believe in the people with whom you are close. They’ll connect you with great people who can truly move the needle for you. Then, one day you too, may be fortunate enough to actually add one of those well-known, highly-valued, “inner circle” people to your team as well.
Remember – Long-term relationships are the key to success in franchising and they don’t just happen. If you’re interested in learning more about how to ensure sustainable growth in your business and empower franchise relationship management, feel free to connect with me at any time. E-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org or direct dial: 404-751-4240.